My father was just about my age now when I first really started to get to know him as an aspiring five year old boy. Slowly but surely, I am starting to notice a number of familiar personality traits, psychological idiosyncrasies, bad habits (like clearing my throat, cussing and complaining) and behavioral tendencies which I more than likely acquired from him, either through inheritance, imitation or just plain learning. Now it is my turn to stand in his shoes and deal with these on my own terms. The way I look at it, there are a number of options to take, namely on or more of the following:
- Just ignore them and hope they go away as I grow older.
- Accept them as a they are (natural limitations) and continue my life the best I can.
- Use them to my advantage as if they were unique skills which can give me an advantage.
- Consider these obstacles as creative opportunities to overcome and thereby develop my inner self.
- Give up completely and just plainly accept them as is (a form of surrender you might say).